Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Oh no you didn't!

So I was relaxing, watching tv, and basically minding my own business.  Then it happened!  I saw the most offensive commercial I've ever seen.  I'm not going to give the company the time of day (I'm well aware the power my blog carries in the world) by naming them.  Needless to say, it was a company trying to entice people to receive help from IRS past taxes.

Here's the kicker, a few seconds into the commercial, the spokesman (a cartoon of a classic nerd as the host) begins to explain how their company will lower your tax payments to the IRS.  Here's what he writes on the whiteboard for someone that owes $20,000:

$5 / 2*3.14$
then:
$A \times b/C + 8^2$
followed by:
$x2+u2\,(40\%)+pi^4$

which magically makes the $20,000 become $1600!

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that this company thinks that a "nerd" would write the above gibberish or that people will think this "magical" equations are the way for them to fix their problems.  I'm hoping Dan Meyer's head is erupting right now!  (I say that knowing he probably won't read this, and may, with his Jedi mind for math, just sense this atrocity of mathematics!) 

Sorry to vent, thanks for making it this far, just had to get that off my chest.

1 comment: